Close

Good game, but can't find a versus game

This game is actually pretty good. The gamespot review was kind of harsh. Yea the cinematics are a bit cheesey, but the gameplay is solid. Feels like Gears of War.

But what's with the versus? I can't seem to ever find a game.
    -thesuicidefox-

Game Director
    Hi the_suicide_fox,

Firstly, thanks so much for your feedback on Scourge: Outbreak. We also feel the GS review was overly harsh, but unfortunately an opinion is an opinion and we have to live with it. What hurts most is that the GS reviewer was supposed to wait to publish his review until launch day (like all other Press agreed to and did), but instead he published it the day before. This meant that there was a period of a day or two where his was the only review out there, and inevitably this will have severely affected our early success. Only time will tell how many people take the time to actually try the game and decide for themselves. Everyone here at Tragnarion has their fingers and toes crossed! :-)

Regarding Versus... At the moment, Unranked matchmaking requires a minimum of 4 players before starting a match (Ranked requires 8, but Private games have no minimum) and also will only find games that are still in the Party Lobby. Unfortunately we over-estimated the number of Players that would be playing Versus simultaneously, resulting in it currently being very difficult to find other players. There are people organizing private games, but public games are few and far between at the moment. Please feel free to head over to this thread to find other Players' GamerTags and add your own. Hopefully this will help you find some Versus games. I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to invite people for some Private Matches, so if you add your tag and I see you online, I'll be sure to send an invite your way. :-)

There is good news, though, in that we are working on this and hope to resolve it soon via an update. We're still testing the fix, but it looks hopeful. In addition to fixing a couple of other minor unrelated bugs, it will also A) reduce the Unranked minimum to 2 players and B) allow matchmaking to also find and join games that are already in progress (instead of only games that are still in the Party Lobby). This should go a long way towards improving the Versus experience and community size. I'll post here with a date when we have one.

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to our community for this oversight in the current implementation. Definitely a lesson learned on our part, so we're working hard to rectify it as soon as possible. If things go well, the PS3 and PC/Mac versions should have this fix included already on launch day.

Thank you all so much for your patience and support!

Kind regards,
    Omar

Reducing the number down from 4 to 2 will result in even more empty matches. I guarantee you if it's only 2 random people for 5 minutes, 1 will leave. Then someone else will join, and you can do nothing but hope they stay. A multiplayer demo would help a LOT, and maybe you could do a "Play with the Devs" day once a week or something. Get everyone acquainted.

Game Director
    Hi Jay,

Perhaps a little more detail about the fix will help to clarify. In Unranked mode the matchmaking system would initially search for one other player, but then each newly connected player will add an additional 60 seconds (if I recall correctly) to the time-out, making it possible for more players who are currently matchmaking to connect. So for example, you and I are matched together, but before starting the match, the process waits another 60 seconds. Within those 60 seconds Bob connects, making us a total of three players, and the timeout is reset to 60 seconds. Only once the timeout expires will the match begin. Essentially, we're trying to make sure that in the worst case scenario (ie. there are only 2 players matchmaking right now), a match can be found and started. If there are more than two people matchmaking at the same time, then they should all end up in the same match before the game begins. When 8 or more people are matchmaking simultaneously, this should result in full matches, with the additional benefit of people now being able to connect mid-game if a slot opens up.

As it happens, we're currently looking into the possibility of a regular 'Play with the Devs' event. There are some things we'd like to do related to that, and we're checking the viability of how far we can go. I occasionally try to invite players who have added my GamerTag to their Friends List to Versus games when I'm on, but as I have young kids I don't have a lot of free time at the moment.

As for a multiplayer demo... Our original intention was to allow both Co-op and one available map in Versus for the demo, but we were not permitted to do this. Despite repeated attempts to change this, we were told time and time again that the Trial mode for XBLA titles cannot allow any type of multiplayer. Even more frustrating was the fact that there are in fact a handful of XBLA titles out there which allow exactly that (Battlefield 1943, Crimson Alliance, etc), but we never got an answer regarding why they could do it and we could not. We intend to re-visit this with the 'powers that be', so fingers crossed. My ideal would be to allow players trying the Versus mode of the Trial version to play with players who own the full game, albeit with some kind of restriction (ie. only one selectable map, or a time limit, etc).

Kind regards,
    Omar

Quote Originally Posted by OSalleh View Post
    Hi Jay,

Perhaps a little more detail about the fix will help to clarify. In Unranked mode the matchmaking system would initially search for one other player, but then each newly connected player will add an additional 60 seconds (if I recall correctly) to the time-out, making it possible for more players who are currently matchmaking to connect. So for example, you and I are matched together, but before starting the match, the process waits another 60 seconds. Within those 60 seconds Bob connects, making us a total of three players, and the timeout is reset to 60 seconds. Only once the timeout expires will the match begin. Essentially, we're trying to make sure that in the worst case scenario (ie. there are only 2 players matchmaking right now), a match can be found and started. If there are more than two people matchmaking at the same time, then they should all end up in the same match before the game begins. When 8 or more people are matchmaking simultaneously, this should result in full matches, with the additional benefit of people now being able to connect mid-game if a slot opens up.

As it happens, we're currently looking into the possibility of a regular 'Play with the Devs' event. There are some things we'd like to do related to that, and we're checking the viability of how far we can go. I occasionally try to invite players who have added my GamerTag to their Friends List to Versus games when I'm on, but as I have young kids I don't have a lot of free time at the moment.

As for a multiplayer demo... Our original intention was to allow both Co-op and one available map in Versus for the demo, but we were not permitted to do this. Despite repeated attempts to change this, we were told time and time again that the Trial mode for XBLA titles cannot allow any type of multiplayer. Even more frustrating was the fact that there are in fact a handful of XBLA titles out there which allow exactly that (Battlefield 1943, Crimson Alliance, etc), but we never got an answer regarding why they could do it and we could not. We intend to re-visit this with the 'powers that be', so fingers crossed. My ideal would be to allow players trying the Versus mode of the Trial version to play with players who own the full game, albeit with some kind of restriction (ie. only one selectable map, or a time limit, etc).

Kind regards,
    Omar
    Okay, that makes more sense. But what about the timer? An entire minute is a bit much.
    That rule must be fairly recent, as I know Monday Night Combat had multiplayer AND co-op in the demo. Did they say anything about time restrictions? I think all of those demos had a timer whenever you were actively playing multiplayer. What about PS3? Time limits are pretty annoying, especially if you want to try it out with friends. 1 co-op mission and maybe 2 maps would be nice.

Game Director
    Hi Jay,

Actually I was mistaken about the duration of the timer. Moss (Moritz Wundke - Lead Programmer) corrected me the other day when discussing this; apparently the timer is currently 30 seconds and not 60. Well spotted. ;-)

Regarding the rule, yes it's bizarre. And no it's not a new rule (we found out about it last year or possibly the year before), and neither is it a consistently applied rule because, as you correctly pointed out (and I mentioned in my previous post), there are plenty of examples of XBLA games which seem to break this rule. Despite highlighting this discrepancy with the 'powers that be', our pleas were effectively ignored and no answer was given for the apparent inequality. Extremely frustrating, given that we feel Scourge: Outbreak is strongest when played with friends, be it Co-op or PvP. Battlefield 1943 has a time-limited trial version, for instance, but even this wasn't offered to us as an option. But anyway, as I said, we're currently trying to get this re-considered.

As for the content of the trial (even if it allowed to be multiplayer/co-op), we'd have to consider the work involved in changing anything. Whatever we do could potentially affect a lot of other things, like for example the PS3 launch date. There's a lot to take into account. First things first, though. Hopefully we get some movement on allowing multiplayer in the trial.

Kind regards,
    Omar

Quote Originally Posted by OSalleh View Post
    Hi Jay,

Actually I was mistaken about the duration of the timer. Moss (Moritz Wundke - Lead Programmer) corrected me the other day when discussing this; apparently the timer is currently 30 seconds and not 60. Well spotted. ;-)

Regarding the rule, yes it's bizarre. And no it's not a new rule (we found out about it last year or possibly the year before), and neither is it a consistently applied rule because, as you correctly pointed out (and I mentioned in my previous post), there are plenty of examples of XBLA games which seem to break this rule. Despite highlighting this discrepancy with the 'powers that be', our pleas were effectively ignored and no answer was given for the apparent inequality. Extremely frustrating, given that we feel Scourge: Outbreak is strongest when played with friends, be it Co-op or PvP. Battlefield 1943 has a time-limited trial version, for instance, but even this wasn't offered to us as an option. But anyway, as I said, we're currently trying to get this re-considered.

As for the content of the trial (even if it allowed to be multiplayer/co-op), we'd have to consider the work involved in changing anything. Whatever we do could potentially affect a lot of other things, like for example the PS3 launch date. There's a lot to take into account. First things first, though. Hopefully we get some movement on allowing multiplayer in the trial.

Kind regards,
    Omar
    Guess things with Microsoft went well

Game Director
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySwolo View Post
    Guess things with Microsoft went well
    Yeah, go figure... We went back to them post-launch and asked again, and for some reason suddenly now they say we can go ahead. Still no explanation for why it wasn't OK before, though. Very frustrating, but at least now we can go ahead with it. Patch coming soon! :-)

Regards,
    Omar